Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Beyond a Number


A message to families after our state test: 

This morning I greeted our agents at the door. We shook hands and got ready for our day. We began testing promptly at 8:30 and some agents worked right until lunch. In the fall when you get your child's score back I need you to remember that the number does not define your child. Take a look at their growth percentile and see how much progress he or she has made. Your child is not just that number either, but that is a much better number to look at.

Today I watched almost every agent work his or her hardest I have ever seen him or her work. I observed most students making graphic organizers for 2 open responses. I was impressed several students took my advice and sketchnoted the story to help answer questions. We actually ran out of scratch paper, and I had to get more. Students really understand making thinking visible helps them. I watched as students tirelessly checked work over before handing it in. 

So your children are hard working students who try their best. Your children have empathy for others as those that finished early were respectful of others who were still working. They showed the value of strength and true friendship today that will hopefully last long after they leave their agent head quarters.

I am so proud of our students. So ask your agent how it went today and remind him or her of the amazing traits they all have that make our classroom a better place to be in. And when you get that score back in the fall . . . no matter what it is . . . remember your child is not defined by that number. They rose above any number today


No comments:

Post a Comment