Monday, September 18, 2017

An Internet Minute: Stats Over the Years

 The Older version of the Internet Minute






I remember when this original image came out, and I was stunned at some of the figures of what happens in an Internet minute; however, when the 2016 image was released I laughed. I was not surprised to see Google search has grown by 4 million as this is part of our life. This is why I teach like Google exists. Think about what we would do if Google did not exist?  If a student asks me a question that Google can answer, that is where I sent them. Our young minds need to learn to use this tool in an effective and efficient way. 

Twitter continued to jump as well, and I can say when the original image came out I was not a Twitter believer and now I cannot imagine my life without it. It is used to reach out to colleagues to get ideas, some who I have never even met! It connects my classroom community to experts. It validates student work. Twitter has also become a tool for my students to share what they are doing, have discussions about books, and seek answers to questions Google and their teacher cannot answer. 

Social media apps had huge growth. Check out the Snapchat facts! 104 thousand to 1.8 million! Snapchat is how we reach people these days- the jump in snaps created is proof of that. Filters on snapchat are the new form of advertisement. 

Go and ask students today if they are on Facebook or Instagram and many will tell you Instagram. I have been told Facebook is for people in their 40s by students. It is also a great tool to form groups where whole towns can ask questions in an easy format whereas Instagram is where the students build their community. I am still not sure what is so amazing about a picture of breakfast or the duck face over and over again, but our younger generation loves these photos so we need to be appreciative of that. I also am aware some students use Instagram to learn more about photography and show off their unique style. I do hope these students are learning how to use these tools in positive ways to spread messages. 

In an Internet minute a lot of powerful things can happen. Things are also changing. Netflix was added to the circle. Streaming movies is making way for new technologies as we said goodbye to the VHS player this year. Soon our students will not know what a VHS tape is. Show them a floppy disk and see what they think it is! Tinder swipes continue to increase too, showing the power of people connecting and meeting. Of course You Tube use has doubled! This shows how much has changed in a few years. Imagine what will be in 2018? Maybe one of your students will create something we can do on the Internet in a minute. I would swipe right to that!  

No comments:

Post a Comment