Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Among Us is Coming to our 5th Grade Class!

 Among Us has stormed through our students’ lives, and it seems to be all the rage! When designing lessons it is important to try to connect and engage students with content, providing learning experiences they will remember. So what better way to do this than to design an Among Us themed unit?


Inspired by Carrie Baughcum and Adam Bold, over break I created an Among Us activity for students that covers various Massachusetts learning standards. It can be adapted for other standards of teaching and learning. However I focused not only on content but also on speaking and listening and digital skills. 


I dropped hints to students that Among Us would be coming soon. I got the slow clap like an 1980s movie from several students.






Over the course of two weeks I randomly commented that Among Us was coming to our class. Students had lots of questions, but I chose to let them talk and try to figure out what I could mean. Several students said right away they would not be using the app on a device due to data privacy issues and age restrictions. They were correct in their thinking. 


This morning I unveiled the first slide, so students would know I was serious that I created an activity for them that will take place on Wednesday mornings! I showed them the title slide, and I asked them to think about what I could have made. Here is what students thought: 


  • Whoever has most imposters wins

  • Someone is going to put a clue out every week and we need to figure out who imposter is

  • When we do the activity you will give us a card and it will give us who we are and we have to try to vote who the imposter is

  • During the lessons we do on Wednesdays you will fit a clue in one of them and we have to figure out what it is and who did it

  • I do not think it will be with the real game and we are not allowed to play it because we are not of age

  • Trivia/treasure hunt and crewmates trying to figure it out and imposter slowing them down

  • Trivia of different maps of what imposter is and what crewmates can and cannot do

  • Have to make something and it involves Among Us and whoever makes the best one wins

  • It will be like the mafia game where you have to sit and close your eyes and we will have to vote someone out 


One student guessed closely to what we will be doing, but I would not tell them who. I left them wondering what we would be doing, until next week when I share more about our plans to play Among Us as a fifth grade class. Leaving them in suspense only caused them to want to know more! 


1 comment:

  1. I very much appreciate how you are working with the children on critical thinking. And so many other positive things.

    ReplyDelete