Thursday, September 20, 2018

The Power of Our Words


Recess is something I remember very little about as a child. I know I ran around a lot. Kickball was the cool game. We also played on the playground. Two of my classmates got married under the slide. Other than that, it is a blur. This morning I reminded students this is their last year of recess and should enjoy it.

I reminded them there is no Vince Lombardi trophy for recess. I asked if there were medals and awards for being King and Queen of Recess. Students simply said No. We talked about competition on the playground and a healthy amount is good, but if you feel yourself getting frustrated or angry then walk away. Calling each other names out there has been happening and feelings get hurt. Students admitted that calling each other names is more a sign of being frustrated rather than intending to hurt feelings. We all know words can hurt. Some of us carry those words with us through high school and beyond.

Students and I discussed what you could do if you said something hurtful and realized what came out of your mouth after the words escaped. A simple I’m sorry or I did not mean that can go a long way even if you realize it later in your day.

I then transitioned into what I like to call the "JK Phenomena" or Just Kidding! Several students will talk to peers or siblings either nicely or not so nice and follow it up with "Just kidding." This in turn hurts others, even if our perception is that it is funny or a way to say something without dealing with a consequence of our words because we were only "just kidding." It also means we do not have to take responsibility for our words. Most agents honestly admitted to doing this or it has happened to them and shared when they do not take responsibility the consequences can be much worse. I hope students begin to realize the power of their words.


A few years ago a student had once told me how online joking is worse as and I quote
"there is no font for sarcasm." Brilliantly said as it is so true. I encourage you to continue the conversation about this at home because once you put something in writing it is now evidence of your words. As they head to QMS this is a HUGE lesson to learn. Middle school can be like navigating through murky water. 




No comments:

Post a Comment