Monday, June 4, 2018

Greeting Students Builds a Classroom Community: What Does Your Handshake Say About You?



I happened to be watching a news story that eventually went viral. It started with a handshake. Each morning in a kindergarten class in TX there is a class greeter. This student is there to welcome his or her classmates into the room with a handshake, fist bump, high five, and some hugs. This is something so simple yet has a huge impact on the classroom culture. I decided to greet each of my students last Monday morning with a handshake like I did at our open house in August.

I awaited each child, and as they went to enter the room I stuck my hand out and said, “Good morning.” Many were confused by this greeting but happily shook my hand. I had to remind students to look me in the eye, have a firm grip, and respond to my comment. Often times out in the real world the handshake is the first thing we notice about someone. Forbes came out with a great article about 7 things your handshake says about you. I am sure we have all met one of the seven examples, but which one makes a good impression on you? My father always taught me to stand tall, look the person in the eye, and use a firm grip. I am glad he did!

Over the course of the week as I greeted each student I began to notice subtle changes. First, the students were ready to work by 8:30 AM when usually I have to prod kids along to finish morning work. Second, they had more smiles on their faces in the morning. I have also begun to observe more of the perfect handshake in 22 students than a week ago! This morning I happened to be talking to a colleague in the hallway when the students arrived. I turned around to see half my class waiting by the door. Not one student had entered the room. They were waiting to greet me with a handshake.  

No comments:

Post a Comment