Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Red Rover Red Rover Who Would You Call Over?


While students are inside playing Fortnite or other games they are missing out on the great outdoors. Today I took my class outside and decided to play Red Rover. I lined them up and organized them on the field across from each other. I spoke to one of the teams about what we were doing, and every single one of them had never played Red Rover. I teach 5th grade. How do you make it to 5th grade and never play Red Rover?
I remember my recess in elementary school. We played 4-Square, Kickball, and Red Rover. We ran around the playground, and I know someone got married under the slide with a tin foil ring. It was a time of innocence.
After explaining the rules of Red Rover along with a small behavior reminder I had my students play. I saw twenty-two students working as a team on that field today. They cheered for each other, supported one another, and laughed. I saw students strategizing where to go, who to call, and doing their best to hold hands so no one broke through.
They told me this was the best game ever and asked if they could play it at recess. Reflecting back on some of the photos I took I saw pure joy in each of their faces. Kids need time to learn how to play recess games that are constructive. They need moments to be a kid and just have fun. Imagine playing Red Rover at work. Who would you call over? I think we all need some more time outside to play. Let the wind whip through our hair. And allow every day to have some joy in it!
Image may contain: one or more people, tree, grass, outdoor and nature









2 comments:

  1. Awesome blog and game! I loved that one as well. Thanks for introducing it to the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I am so glad they had a blast. They have been asking if we can play today!

    ReplyDelete