Friday, April 6, 2018

The Truth Will Set You Free


Our class has been listening to Rob Buyea’s story, The Perfect Score. I had timed the reading of this story alongside our MCAS. I had never read this book before, but its lessons are powerful and have caused some in depth discussions in our classroom.

The students in this book were pressured by the school to perform amazingly on their state tests, causing them to devise a cheating plan to relieve stress. There were students who were aware of this plan but were not thinking of cheating. This led to a rich conversation on the notion of a bystander. If you are aware something bad is happening (and involves your friends) are you guilty by association? Students were honest and their answers were split between yes and no. Some were afraid to rat on their friends while others felt they should not get roped into their friend’s actions. What a great dinner table discussion to have!

Another great discussion happened today. We talked about how “the truth will set you free.” Students discussed what this meant and how telling the truth is a great relief. They recognized the characters in the book were carrying a heavy burden, but telling the truth would lift that. We related this lesson to yesterday’s art class. There were many actions in art class that caused me to make some decisions that went against my pedagogical grain. Sometimes, as educators, we have to do things we do not like or even want to do. After the actions of many students yesterday our classroom has changed shape.

Independence, passion for learning, curiosity about our world, and creating/respecting community are things I pride myself on, providing a foundation in our classroom home. I try everything to get students to work well as a community even if it means changing how I love to teach. Ask my now 26-year-old 3rd graders. They will tell you all about how we went back to log cabin school! We sat in rows. I took everything I personally bought away from them. I remember the tears one student had over how hard using the crank pencil sharpener was. The common cliché still rings true: You do not realize what you have until it was gone. They had to work together to earn things back, debating over what privilege they wanted to be returned. Something similar happened last year and our class had a Great Debate. These students learned to appreciate what they have, the importance of prioritizing, and valuable debate skills. I often still wonder if I did the right thing, but in my heart I know I did. We all became better people because of that.

If your student did not talk to you about art class yesterday, I hope he or she will today. The truth will set them free.

No comments:

Post a Comment