Thursday, January 18, 2018

Why Are They Allowed To Do That?

I was not sure what I was expecting from today’s lesson, but the conversations that occurred within the classroom walls were not only enriching but eye opening for the students and adults in our learning space. We reviewed our class discussion about the Google Home from yesterday. Then we revisited our class Padlet. I had asked parents the night before to add their thoughts. It was a great way to involve them in the conversation. One parent shared a news article with us that added to our tool box of ideas.


Students spent some time reflecting on their classmate’s and parent’s thinking about ways to use the Google Home in the classroom setting, creating generalizations and sharing them with the class. They noticed students said we could use it as a dice or timer, to play music, and help in math. Then I shared some of my ideas, as well as the thinking from the #ditchbook crew. We began to see how we could challenge the Google home with the questions we ask. I modeled how Webb’s Depth of Knowledge could be used to explore questioning techniques.




Then things took a turn. I brought up our school Responsible Use Policy and how we needed to see if the Google Home fit into our policy. We had created a K-7 RUP user friendly document of the policy for the district when we wrote the RUP. Teachers were asked to review with students in the fall, so we revisited this document. We looked at the first concept:


 I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR MY COMPUTER and E-MAIL ACCOUNTS. I will not give my password to anyone.  I will log off from my account when I am finished.  If I see another person’s inappropriate work on a computer screen, I will tell an adult.  I will wait to use the computer until an adult has removed the material.


Then I asked the burning question, how does this apply to the Google Home? A student shared we had to be responsible for using the Google Home. Students mentioned we should not change the email account that is attached to it. Another student shared the microphone and device should be off when we are not using it. Another student questioned this, and a third student told the class, “The Google Home is always listening.”

Then I heard it. The ONE QUESTION I had been waiting for. “Why are they allowed to do that?” So this led to a whole conversation about terms and conditions. Students were saying they do not agree to these things and the word illegal came up. So we talked about the check box they mark when they agree to the terms and conditions. This is all in the fine print, and students had no idea they (or whoever set up the account) were signing off on such things.

A student chimed in, “What happens when I say no?” So we gave the news that they cannot use the app or website. Students started discussing cameras, permissions, location settings, and the Big Three (Amazon, Google, and Apple) and what data they are collecting. One student said his father uses “putty” on the camera for privacy reasons.  

We then broke up into two groups (a parent led the conversation with the second group). The students engaged in conversation about the RUP and applied it to the Google Home. They had rich discussions about their use of the Google Home, sharing ideas for being responsible with language and speaking clearly because you do not want it to think you are saying something you are not. They talked about how to treat the device and protecting property of others while using it.

Tomorrow we are going to work together to create a version of the RUP that fits our classroom use of Google Home and if time allows some practical classroom guidelines. Students are learning how to write a policy, read and synthesize information, share ideas, and practice various media literacy skills during our reading block. I am forever grateful to our students and parents who are on this journey with me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment