Monday, November 6, 2017

It is OK to get advice with how to solve life's problems

It has been brought to my attention that students are still feeling the burn, roasting classmates. Many times this is done in jest, but other times feelings are hurt. When discussing this with students the ones who are being roasted mentioned to me that they feel like telling an adult is “ratting someone out."

I asked them if they can solve all their problems without help. Most said no. I shared that even as an adult I still seek the help of others when I cannot figure out things on my own. It is important to use your network of people around you to grow. 

I explained to students that they were not ratting someone out, rather asking for advice. If they are worried about tattling, they can always seek advice from others without using names.

In our classroom I hope to build a community where students see adults and classmates in here as people who can help them solve problems. We have the bothering box and use of email to make this happen too.


Communicating openly, speaking from the heart, and seeking advice from others are life skills. I encourage you to talk to your student about this, and I hope I cleared up any confusion for students who were worried about seeking advice about how to deal with a situation they are in. 



No comments:

Post a Comment