Monday, December 21, 2015

To Accept the Friend or Follow: That is the Question

Yesterday I taught my own peers a BIG lesson and thought I would share it with all of you. No matter how old you are it is a HUGE lesson to learn. Social media can be used for so many great things such as connecting us to people, sharing ideas, and learning new things from experts. It can also have its dangers. Many students are on social media sites in which you need to be 13 years old to be a part of (I hear them in the morning talking about snap chat and know several are on instagram). I do believe students need to learn proper ways to use these sites which is why I created a class account which I solely have control of.  Today I shared with them what I am about to share with all of you.

Anyone who has a social media account opens himself or herself up to the WORLD. Anyone who wants to friend you or follow you MUST be someone you know. Just because someone has asked you to friend or follow you and they have mutual friends of yours DOES NOT MEAN your actual live friends know this person in cyber space. Recently three people have tried to friend a lot of my friends and they all accepted it because this person was a mutual friend of their friends. I was the only one who actually asked people if they knew this person. They were all surprised to realize no one knew who the person was but since they all had mutual friends they accepted the people.

In doing this you now share your friend list and photos with the new “friend.” This new “friend” might not be who they say they are at all. I encourage you to think before you or your children accept people to follow or friend. You open your self up with what you share on social media to complete strangers. This is the part of social media that scream stranger danger. Please be wise before you click yes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment